|"Bah! You've been reading Yookapedia, haven't you?"|
This article contains plot spoilers for Yooka-Laylee and/or Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair.
"Bah! You've been reading Yookapedia, haven't you?"― Dr. Quack
Dr. Quack serves as a major antagonist in Yooka-Laylee. He is the ruthless and traitorous head of Quack Corp, a business recently acquired by Hivory Towers, and is working hard to satisfy the demands of, and create inventions for, his new boss, Capital B. In addition, his army of Corplet creations now work for Capital B as well.
To support the development of Capital B's plans, Dr. Quack stole all the research of his colleague Dr. Puzz and left her unemployed. He also created the Novelizer 64, an invention that can steal all the books in the world.
Dr. Quack holds a Quickfire Quiz between various sections of Hivory Towers. It is a multiple-choice quiz with different questions about the previous worlds.
Name Origin[edit | edit source]
Dr. Quack is named after the sound of a duck, "Quack." A quack is also a term for a crazy person, describing his design and personality. A quack doctor is also a doctor who has no sort of medical experience, which is ironic since Dr. Quack is incredibly skilled and intelligent in his field.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Dr. Quack is a green mallard duck with a yellow bill and a white ring of feathers around his neck. The rest of his body (if he has one) is not visible, as it's hidden from view while he pilots a red biosuit, but he does say he amputated his own legs. The biosuit is a motorized gumball machine full of pink, breathable, bubbly fluid. The gumball machine reads 'Dr. Quack 2¢ gum.' A thick metal antenna sits on top of the biosuit with a doctor's head mirror worn around its bowl.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Dr. Quack is a mentally-unstable, malicious, and antagonistic duck. He is constantly trying to stop Yooka and Laylee's progress. He is highly intelligent, having invented several machines for his boss, Capital B.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Bah! You've been reading Yookapedia, haven't you?"
- Duck down! Duck down! Bring me my pillow stuffed with duck down!
- Gah! I can't feel my legs!!... Oh, wait. I forgot I removed them, years ago...
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Artwork[edit | edit source]
Concept Art[edit | edit source]
Screenshots[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Dr. Quack's biosuit is similar to that of Gruntilda's in Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.
- Dr. Quack was designed by Mark Stevenson.
- Yooka-Laylee's Steam page mentions that Dr. Quack was planned to originally ride in a tank rather than a gumball machine.
- Dr. Quack seems to be the equivalent of Klungo, Gruntilda's henchman from the first two Banjo-Kazooie games; however, Dr. Quack is obviously more intelligent and is a bigger threat to the protagonists.
- Dr. Quack might also be inspired by and named after Dr. Quackberry, a character from another Rare game named Viva Pinata.
- The Novelizer 64 may be a reference to the Nintendo 64, as they are phonetically similar.
- Even though he was vanquished to the Royal Stingdom with his boss, Dr. Quack is absent from Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair. Instead, a Flying Meanyion named Boris replaces his role as Capital B's right hand man. Unlike Quack, though, Boris is directly battled by Yooka and Laylee.
- An airship bearing Dr. Quack's face may be seen in the background of Scareship Shootout in Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair.