|"Bah! You've been reading Yookapedia, haven't you?"|
This article contains plot spoilers for Yooka-Laylee and/or Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair.
"Aw looky here... The 'modern' heroes are back for some of ol' Kartos' 'dated' minecart rides!"― Kartos
Kartos is a large, wooden minecart in the Yooka-Laylee series. In Yooka-Laylee, Kartos will ask Yooka and Laylee to collect a specific amount of Gems in exchange for a Pagie known as The Kartos Challenge. The required number of Gems will vary per world. Kartos has been out of work for some time before meeting the duo.
- 1 Name Origin
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 4 Specific Locations by World
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Entire Conversation
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
Name Origin[edit | edit source]
The name "Kartos" is a reference to what he is: a minecart. It is spoof of the name Kratos, the main character in the God of War franchise.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Kartos is a mine cart made out of wood and steel. The bright head lights on the cart act as Kartos' eyebrows. He sports a wooden mustache. His jaw is relatively big and moves around when he talks. He has coal inside of him.
Personality[edit | edit source]
He is very cheery and is willing to help the duo.
Specific Locations by World[edit | edit source]
Capital Cashino: In one of the corners of the world, located on a platform by some red dice. There is a bridge connecting it.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Entire Conversation[edit | edit source]
Tribalstack Tropics[edit | edit source]
"Hello there. Who might you be?"
"Howdy strangers, name's Kartos."
"Let me guess ... the God of Ore?"
"Ah've no idea whawt ya'll blabberin' about, Miss."
"Mah job's to ride the rails of them gran' tomes an' bring back gold ..."
"Though ah've not seen much treasure in a long time ... Nobody cares for us minecart fellas no more."
"Sorry, what did you say? I wasn't paying attention."
"Nice to meet you, Kartos. We're searching for Pagies. Do you think we'll find any on your track?"
"You'll find plen'y when you's inside me, boy! There's gold in them ther mine shafts!"
"Say, how's 'bout ya'll critters be mah pardner on a ride?"
If the player accepts (Tribalstack Tropics)[edit | edit source]
"Sure thing Kartos! We'll give it a shot."
"Oh boy, just like the good old days! Jump inside an' let's go for a ride!"
"If ya'll want to rustle yourselves a Pagie, you'll be needin' to collect 40 purdy gems on mah track before you reach the end!"
"Do you need to know the controls, critters?"
Player asks for controls[edit | edit source]
"You'll be needin' X to jump, square to fire and joystick to control the speed. Ya'll got that?"
Successfully completing the minigame (Tribalstack Tropics)[edit | edit source]
"Ho down me do! We made it to the end, gems and all! Nice one pardners!"
"Hoo-wee! Hitting them rails after all these years made me feel like a young minecart again."
"Urgh, I think your dusty old cart given me a rash!"
"Thanks for showing an ol' kart a good time. I'm off to trade my purdy gems at that collectible exchange store."
Successfully completing the minigame (Capital Cashino)[edit | edit source]"Hoo-wee! Another successful ride. Ah'm off to celebrate!"
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept Art[edit | edit source]
Artwork[edit | edit source]
Screenshots[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Originally, Kartos was going to speak with a strong German accent. It is unknown why this was changed to a stereotypical Texan prospector dialect.
- In the game, Kartos states that he's been out of work for quite some time. This is a reference to the lack of minecart levels in the past many years.
- On the back of him is a sign that reads "Kartos Haulage co." the line below it reads: "Mein kart ist ihre cart," or "your cart is mine cart." This is a play-on-words with "my cart" and "minecart."
- According to his quote in Capital Cashino, he claims to be married, however, he does mention that a golf cart broke his heart, meaning that Kartos was in at least one extramarital relationship in the past.
- After Kartos introduces himself, Laylee asks if he is the "God of Ore", referencing Kratos from the God of War series, whose name sounds like that of Kartos.
- Kartos is integral to the boss fight in Capital Cashino. As usual, when Yooka and Laylee successfully complete his minecart challenge, Kartos rewards them with a Pagie, which triggers the security robot I.N.E.P.T. to attack, since only the "Casino Banker" is authorized to distribute Pagies in the casino. Yooka, Laylee, and Kartos must then fight I.N.E.P.T. using the mechanics of the cart challenge.