"The creative talent behind Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country reveal an all-new platforming adventure for consoles and PC!"― Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter
The Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter was an optional method for fans to help support the creation of Yooka-Laylee. The Kickstarter officially began on Friday, May 1st, 2015, and ended on June 16th, 2015. The Kickstarter ended up funding £2,090,104 (≈$3,260,353.23) by the end of the campaign with 73,206 backers. Yooka-Laylee is the fastest game to have reached $1,000,000 on Kickstarter, the #24th most funded video game on Kickstarter, #48th most funded project on Kickstarter, and the #9th most backed game project on Kickstarter.
The Campaign[edit | edit source]
Beginning[edit | edit source]
The Kickstarter had reached its £175,000 ($272,982.50) goal in less than 30 minutes after the Kickstarter was open.
Stretch Goals[edit | edit source]
Yooka-Laylee had many Stretch Goals that were all reached by the end of the Kickstarter (USD conversions as of June 16, 2015)
- £175,000 (≈$272,982.50) ✔ - "PC, MAC & Linux release DAY ONE! Consoles releases to follow (English Lang. only)"
- £274,000 (≈$605,199.15) ✔ - "A unique, epic boss battle on every level + awesome boss tunes from David, Grant, and Steve!"
- £330,000 (≈$514,767.00) ✔ - "A pre-final boss Quiz Show challenge Level! Go for the mystery prize... we dare you!"
- £395,000 (≈$616,160.5) ✔ - "Transformations into 'unexpected things' with unique controls & abilities. Plus a new NPC" (The new NPC was likely Dr. Puzz)
- £435,000 (≈$678,556.5) ✔ - "A mix of 2.5D and 3D Mine cart sections & not even limited to just mines either!" (This eventually turned in the Kartos minigames)
- £535,000 (≈$834,546.50) ✔ - "A local co-op "buddy" mode so a second player can help their best-est buddy out!"
- £665,000 (≈$1,037,333.50) ✔ - "A 2-4 player local multiplayer versus mode with 4 unique games!" (This was likely turned into the Arcade Machines.)
- £715,000 (≈$1,115,328.50) ✔ - "Professional French, German, Spanish, & Italian translations! Plus extra languages voted by backers."
- £775,000 (≈$1,208,922.50) ✔ - "Exclusive character designs from ex-Rare guest artists Kev "Kong" Bayliss & Ed "Mumbo Jumbo" Bryan" (Kevin Bayliss now works at Playtonic Games)
- £875,000 - (≈$1,364,912.50) ✔ - "4 more local multiplayer games added to the local multiplayer mode! (A total of eight Arcade Machines at this point).
- £1,000,000 (≈$1,559,900.00) ✔ - "Simultaneous Wii U, Xbox One & Playstation 4 releases on DAY ONE!" [Wii U version was replaced with a Switch release]
- £1,100,000 (≈$1,715,890.00) "Goin' old-skool! N64 shader mode plus a credits "GK rap video" written by Grant Kirkhope"
- £1,200,000 (≈$1,871,880.00) "Let's Play!(Tonic). Developer walkthrough and commentary video."
- £1,500,000 (≈$2,339,850.00) ⌛ - "Music at its best! Orchestral score (Orchestra TBD). *additional funding also helps us to continue to polish the game to the Nth degree!*"
- £2,000,000 (≈$3,119,800.00) ⌛ - "Payback Time! DLC that's free to backers! As a massive thank you for your generous support - when, and only when, we've finished and released the final game, then we'll proceed to make some additional content that will be free of charge for backers! *additional funding also helps us to continue to polish the game to the Nth degree!*"
Remaining Stretch-Goals[edit | edit source]
Due to time constraints, the orchestral soundtrack will be added to Yooka-Laylee post release. Playtonic Games states: "Our priority was to deliver the core game experience to our backers without further delay and we hope you look forward to these free additions in the near future!"
Pledge Rewards[edit | edit source]
- £5 (≈$7.80) - "Special thanks in the Yooka-Laylee credits" (1,324 backers)
- £10 (≈$15.60) - "STEAM DIGITAL EDITION OF YOOKA-LAYLEE! A code to download the full, final version of Yooka-Laylee. Plus, get all previous rewards!" (22,974 backers)
- £15 (≈$23.40) - "CONSOLE DIGITAL EDITION OF YOOKA-LAYLEE! A code to download the full, final version of Yooka-Laylee on the console of your choice!" (21,683 backers)
- £20 (≈$31.20) - "STEAM or CONSOLE DIGITAL GAME + PC TOYBOX! A code to download the full, final version of Yooka-Laylee on the platform of your choice, plus a special pre-release Toybox PC demo experience. Includes Special Thanks reward!" (6,821 backers)
- £30 (≈$46.80) - "*DIGITAL DELUXE EDITION!* DIGITAL GAME, SOUNDTRACK, RETRO MANUAL + ART BOOK! The full digital package! A code to download the final version of Yooka-Laylee, plus a digital soundtrack, digital retro manual and a special digital art book. Includes all previous rewards!" (5,140 backers)
- £35 (≈$54.60) - "DIGITAL DELUXE + ENHANCED PC Toybox+! The full Digital Deluxe package (digital game, soundtrack, manual & art book) plus an expanded pre-release toybox experience! Plus, all previous rewards included!" (5,859 backers)
- £55 (≈$85.80) - "EXCLUSIVE INSERT COIN T-SHIRT + DIGITAL DELUXE + ENHANCED TOYBOX+! A backer-only Yooka-Laylee t-shirt from respected clothing brand Insert Coin! Plus the full Digital Deluxe package (digital game, soundtrack, manual & art book) and all previous rewards included!" (2,174 backers)
- £70 (≈$109.19) - "*PC BOXED DELUXE EDITION!* PHYSICAL GAME, SOUNDTRACK, RETRO MANUAL + ART BOOK! A beautiful, shrink-wrapped physical edition of Yooka-Laylee that you can put on your shelf and own forever. Plus get a CD soundtrack, physical retro manual and art book! All previous rewards are included." (2,841 backers)
- £90 (≈$140.39) - "EXCLUSIVE INSERT COIN T-SHIRT + PC BOXED DELUXE EDITION! A backer-only Yooka-Laylee t-shirt from respected clothing brand Insert Coin! Plus a shrink-wrapped PC physical edition of Yooka-Laylee with CD soundtrack, physical retro manual and art book! All previous rewards are included." (2,372 backers)
- £170 (≈$265.18) - "SIGNED PLAYTONIC TEAM PC BOXED DELUXE EDITION! The premium Boxed Deluxe Edition of Yooka-Laylee hand-signed by the Playtonic development team! All previous rewards are included." (383 backers)
- £340 (≈$530.37) - "*THE 64-BIT EDITION!* RETRO BOX, N64 CART DRIVE, SIGNED MANUAL! A retro-themed physical package complete with classic box, SIGNED manual and an exclusive Yooka-Laylee N64 cartridge with built-in 64GB flash drive! Also includes a digital copy of the final game, CD soundtrack and art book. Special Thanks and Enhanced PC Toybox+ reward also included." (660 backers)
- £675 (≈$1,052.93) - HELP SHAPE THE GAME! Video conference with the Playtonic development team to help us solve a design challenge and shape the final version of Yooka-Laylee! Includes the Boxed Deluxe Edition of the game plus Special Thanks and Enhanced PC Toybox+ reward. (9 backers)
- £3,375 (≈$5,264.66) - "BE IN THE GAME! Be coached by Banjo and Kazooie voice actor Chris Sutherland and voice a character in Yooka-Laylee! Includes a voice acting credit in the game and ALL previous physical rewards!" (15 backers)
- £5,000 (≈$7,799.50) - "VIP GUEST ATTENDANCE AT A LIVE ORCHESTRA CONCERT IN GERMANY! Premium seating at a live orchestra concert in Germany featuring music by Playtonic composers David Wise and Grant Kirkhope, followed by dinner with the music duo and the Playtonic team! Plus ALL previous physical rewards! (More info to follow. Travel not included.)" (1 backer)
The Budget[edit | edit source]
Playtonic Games will spend the Kickstarter funds on the following:
- 40% - Development code/design/art (£836,041.60 (≈$1,304,141.29))
- 20% - Taxes (£418,020.80 (≈$652,070.65))
- 10% - Development audio & music (£209,010.40 (≈$326,035.32))
- 8% - Business costs legal, offices, website etc. (£167,208.32 (≈$260,828.25))
- 8% - Reward fulfilment (£167,208.32 (≈$260,828.25))
- 5% - Kickstarter fees (£104,505.2 (≈$163,017.66))
- 5% - Development QA & Polish (£104,505.2 (≈$163,017.66))
- 4% - Payment processing (£83,604.16 (≈$130,414.13))
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Artwork[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]